Immigration Law

What’s The Best Thing to do if my Spouse Wants a Divorce?

It can indeed be a difficult thing should your spouse wish for a divorce, especially if you are not in agreement with your spouse about going through with it. This usually happens in a marriage that is already in trouble, or it can sometimes be all of a sudden, and comes as a shock to the spouse who wants to remain married. And then there are times, when the marriage has been through hell, the fact that a spouse wants to get a divorce comes as a relief.

We will take a little look at what you should do when this news comes as a surprise, so as to protect yourself, your right to portions of the marital estate, and concerns about continued support of self and children.

Out of the Blue

When news hits you that a spouse suddenly wants a divorce, it’s better that you don’t leave home, especially if you have any children, not unless you feel that you or your children may be risk of personal injury. And even though you may be legally entitled to half of the property, leaving may be construed as abandoning some if not all of your possessions. If a spouse wants a divorce, let him or her leave instead, so as not to lose these rights. Contacting a quality family law specialist in Yorkshire, is definitely a great idea.

After listening to your spouse’s reasons for wanting a divorce, propose counselling. Even should you not wish for the marriage to go on, counselling may still help settle issues of custody, child support and division of assets. You are going to feel very angry, abandoned, hurt, and rejected, but, if you retaliate in any way when a spouse wants a divorce, you may damage your rights to custody of children or to a just division of assets. Even if your spouse refuses to go to counselling, go for yourself and your children to help you get through this difficult time.

Debts and Support

You also will want to consider all of your assets. You may also want to know about your legal responsibility for half or more of any debt. Make sure to contact any credit card companies and get your name removed from any joint credit accounts. Explain what has occurred; believe it or not, many people are very understanding. You may assume half the debt and ask for it to be placed in a new account for you only, or you can ask that your name be removed and inform the company you do not authorise any new charges. This may be handy when it comes to determining share of debt in divorce proceedings.

For some extra comfort and support, speak to friends and family, and look for Internet chat rooms for people in the very same boat. Take all advice from a legal professional, they have plenty of experience in these matters and will know what is best for you.

And finally, it isn’t the end of the world, and time indeed does heal.